As a Forty Plusser I know that it is important to embrace your own talents and differences and strengths and just live the life the way you want to live it – without having to worry about being judged by people. The way I live, is my choice. At my age I know that being different is actually good. Yes, being different… is just awesome!! Why would I like to be like someone else… boring!! Everyone is unique and that is the best thing ever!
As time went by, I learned that our self-esteem can be determined by the acceptance of society. We give society the power to control our self-esteem instead of finding love and acceptance within ourselves. Who don’t want to fit in? Maybe you have a different mindset or sexual orientation. The world tends to see what is different as something ugly and wrong, as if anything “abnormal” is something needing to be fixed! Okay, ducks fly in flocks and eagles fly alone. I don’t always want to be an eagle… I would like to be a duck as well, because ducks have company… Those who are considered different can find it difficult to belong.
Let’s face it… being different is actually GOOD! It doesn’t matter who you are… those who are different are those who change and shape the world! If I can give you some advice: Voice your opinion! Be heard! Take charge of your own life! You must set your own standards! What is normal anyway?? At my age it is actually easy to say “Yeah… I am weird, but it’s okay… I am proud to be me!”.
As more years passed, experiences taught me a deeper understanding about my place in the world. Today I am very very selective with friends, because I don’t wish to surround myself with people that undervalue me or with whom I don’t feel comfortable. There was a time in my life that wanting to please everyone and be what is socially acceptable almost stole my personality. However, by accepting myself, I came to realize that I am absolutely beautiful! With a limited mindset society can have an inability to accept other people’s differences.
We are all different in a way and each person has gone through different life experiences that helped to shape his/her personality. Different experiences give people different attitudes toward things. You can dig in deep and express yourself in what you enjoy doing. The world would be extremely dull if everyone was exactly alike. I do believe that it’s important to accept people for who they are.
When you are different you are not afraid to challenge the norm. You make your own track and don’t just follow the well trodden path. It’s okay to be different. Keep your head held high and smile. The world needs you!
“The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. Those who walk alone are likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before”. – Francis Phillip Wernig.
As a Forty Plusser, I accept people for who they are. Period! Life is too short to judge people anyway! You will never know what it’s like to walk in someone else’s shoes. So, before judging someone, you must understand someone’s experiences, challenges and thought processes.
Just be yourself! Easy as that!
- Your upbringing, your culture and your gender all contribute to how you see the world.
- We are all different and that makes life interesting.
- We all have a past, but your past don’t have to define who you are.
- You have this picture in your mind of what the future holds, but the future can always change. You are pessimistic about the future while someone else may be optimistic.
- You have your own perceptions and I have mine. Perceptions can change.
- We all have our own set of rules and values.
- “What I regard as normal may seem abnormal to another person. I think every person has their own identity and beauty. Everyone being different, is what is really beautiful. If we were all the same, it would be boring”. Tila Tequila
- What makes me happy can irritate the crap out of you!
- We are all unique because of differences in personality.
- What about hygiene? – Some people like to bath/shower twice a day, while other people prefer to do it less frequently… extremely unpleasant to the senses LOL!!
- When speaking – some people always use flattering language while other people may be less polite and curse like a sailor! Really…
- We have different religions.
- We have different parenting skills.
- We have different attitudes towards diet and exercise.
- And the list goes on…
Just be your unique self!
Wisdom quote: “For a really long time, I thought being different was a negative thing. But as I grew older, I started to realize we were all born to stand out; nobody is born to blend in”. Halima Aden