As a Forty Plusser you already know that none of us escapes the wrenching blows that are part of human life. Loss, grief, hatred, poverty, discrimination and violence can painfully destroy HOPE in life. You may feel that everything is lost and hopeless in life. The world we live in is a broken place…
Then I realized: If you improve your own life and the lives of others you can contribute to making our world a better place. So a while back I made a decision to do good to others. This is what I can testify that doing an act of kindness feels wonderful for both the person doing it and the person on the receiving end. Yes, by acting positively and helping others, we also get something in return: Good vibes.
We are all born with a conscience that guides us towards the path of goodness and kindness. (Okay, I know that some people seem like they have no conscience!). Nobody loses when it comes to kindness. That is a fact! When you do a good deed, you are helping someone. Just show random good acts of kindness.
Good deeds should be done with intention and not for attention. Rather stay anonymous. If your intention is to really help others, then your focus should be on the word “others”. Also, do good but expect nothing in return!
Doing good deeds, no matter how insignificant they might seem, do really make a difference. Together out of goodwill and faith in our ability we can create a lasting and real change for us and our future generations.
Interesting fact: Mother Teresa is Considered one of the 20th Century’s greatest humanitarians, she was canonized as Saint Teresa of Calcutta in 2016.
I Quote the following:
- People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
- If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
- If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
- The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
- Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
- The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
- People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
- What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
- People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.
- Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.
© 1968, 2001 Kent M. Keith
“The Paradoxical Commandments” were written by Kent M. Keith in 1968 as part of a booklet for student leaders. _________________________________________